Wednesday, August 12, 2009

disney, oy vey!!


So, the word on the street is that the Walt Disney Company has supposedly bought the rights to the literary classic 'The Diary of Anne Frank.' The company plans on making a cartoon (yes, I said cartoon) for children based on the book.

Let me just repeat that in case it didn't sink in the first time.

Disney is going to make a cartoon about the Holocaust.

Does anyone else find something terribly, horribly and awfully disturbing/wrong/bizarre about this picture?

I cringe to think of the mockery Disney will make of such an important piece of history. Are they going to make it into a musical? No Disney film is complete without a few song and dance numbers. Is Anne Frank going to have some sort of furry sidekick who sits around with her in their little attic? Is Anne going to be drawn as a buxom maiden with a tiny waist and distinctly non-ethnic features like the dames of Disney past?

I'm still pissed at everyone involved in creating the inaccurate and possibly borderline racist 'Pocahontas', and now they're tackling the topic of a Jewish and Dutch icon who died in a concentration camp? How does one explain 'gas the Jews' and 'death ovens' to little kids? What the hell, Disney?!

To add insult to injury, Walt Disney was a well known anti-semite in his day.

This is a recipe for disaster.

Disney has been spewing out pure crap since Aladdin, but the concept of making an animated film about the Holocaust just about takes the cake. It's so disrespectful, it's beyond the pale.

Disturbingly, the man Disney picked to direct the movie, David Mamet, has said he may "reframe" the original story to make it more about a tale of a young girl's "rite of passage" (quotes from Yahoo! News.)

RITE OF PASSAGE? The girl was 15 when she died. Her goal was survival, not a rite of passage, which suggests she lived on to the adult part of her life. What is WRONG with these people?!

And another thing ... what child can handle learning about the true horrors of the Holocaust? I remember doing a project in school on the topic when I was in 4th grade or so, and it was the first time I ever learned about the evil of humanity. After looking at pages and pages of emaciated camp victims, I felt physically sick. Never in my life had I seen anything as horrible on such a massive scale.

I really don't think small children can handle it. I could barely handle it as a 4th grader ... and children much younger than that attend Disney films.

All in all, this is a terrible idea and David Mamet & Disney are going on my shit list unless I'm proven otherwise. But honestly, I hope this stupid idea never makes it past the planning stages. It smacks of disrespect, anti-semitism and corporate greed.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I disagree with your assessment of Disney in general, and of the motives of those involved, and also with the implied idea that animation can not be a medium for dealing with serious issues... yeah, this seems like a really, really bad idea.

The "rite of passage" quote alone shows they just have NO idea. I would attribute this to obliviousness rather than greed or anti-Semitism, but that does not alter in the least that these people should not be involved in telling this story.

My last observation would be that the young woman told her own story, and people should be pointed in that direction. She can speak for herself. She should be allowed to speak for herself.

cityflip said...

You raise a good point with your comment. I was really mad when I wrote that and possibly overly harsh.

Animation is a fine vehicle for dealing with serious issues; I think recent animated feature films such as 'Persepolis' and 'Waltz With Bashir' deal with serious topics in a moving and insightful manner. So you are 100% right that animation can be used as a forceful and public medium. I actually really love animated films, although I lean more toward 'adult' cartoons like Akira and Persepolis.

But I don't think the subject of the Holocaust is really going to be dealt with well as a Disney style cartoon for children. The traditional elements of Disney -- an animal sidekick, a loveable cast, a crazy but ultimately not evil villain, and the use of catchy, pop-like songs -- are not suitable for the serious topic of 6 million deaths. I would also find it equally appalling to make a Disney cartoon about the genocide in Rwanda.

I know Disney is very loved, and I respect that. I loved and watched Disney growing up. I just think something changed after 'Aladdin' -- the movies seem lacking in soul and heart to me. Everything is about making a profit, how to tie in to happy meals, get kids to buy toys, etc. There's also an innocence lost since those days that is no longer present in the recent films.

You gave me some things to think about at any rate ... thanks graywayfarer. ;) (As always, good to hear from you.)