Wednesday, February 06, 2008

for eddie


This past Sunday, I learned that my beloved Uncle Eddie had died after a long battle with cancer. He died on Friday, but there was a delay in getting the word to me for various reasons. Needless to say, I was saddened by the news, although I can't say it took me by surprise.

Uncle Eddie, although not an 'uncle' in the traditional sense of the word, was a dear family friend who was a part of my life from infancy onwards. He watched me grow up in so many ways. From my days of playing with Barbie and My Little Ponies to playing instruments, Eddie was there. He heard my woes about boyfriends, he was there to watch me perform a world premiere and he was always there to give me a compliment most people wouldn't think of -- like telling me I had a nice neck, or that I was a sensitive, sweet girl. (Things that don't seem like a big deal, but somehow are.) I will never forget the time when I was little and he kindly laughed over my panic at the Prophet Elijah's supposed appearence during a Passover celebration. I was so scared of Eliajah's ghost that I refused to use the bathroom until my mom walked in with me and stood there while I peed.

Eddie had a beautiful apartment, full of exquisite things. He had an amazing collection of Irish silver, perhaps a nod to his Irish roots. Eddie told the best stories of growing up with my dad -- I learned some funny things about my father as a young boy, thanks to Eddie. I loved standing in Eddie's apartment just looking at everything. There was so much to see, so many beautiful things.

So, in case Eddie can see this from whatever cloud he's zooming around on in Heaven:

I love you very much, Uncle E., and will miss you. I'm sorry I never got to say goodbye to you, but on the next sunny day, if you see me looking up and waving, it's in an effort to give you some sort of proper send off. (Of course, a real good bye will never be needed, as you are always in my heart.)

Everyone else: I have a song I am going to post in his honor. Soon as I find a file upload service that's free and doesn't suck (no such luck yet) I will post it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds as though you'll carry a bit of him with you, always, though.