Saturday, December 03, 2011

thank you, canada

  I've been living in Canada for over a year now.  I am slowly settling in to this place.  I feel fond of my adopted home.  To be truthful, sometimes there are times that I wish I had been born Canadian; carrying around the social albatross that is an American identity can be very trying. People will often treat me differently, once they realize where I'm from. I love my country, but I'm also frightened for it, and at the directions it is going in.  If I were Canadian, I could let all of that go, and of all of the negativity I experience from non-Americans for being born in the 'Land of the Free'. 

  Canadians are honestly treated a lot better, at least from an international standpoint.

  So yes, I'm claiming Canadian identity for myself. It's not just because of the American issue.  It is also because I genuinely like the place.  It is different from any other place I've ever been, sometimes in subtle and unexpected ways.  I think that's a really beautiful thing, and something that I'm very fortunate to be able to experience.

 It may be temporary, but for the time that I live here, I would like to be able to consider myself as 'Canadian' as any other new immigrant.  I pay taxes, I abide by the laws, I've studied up on the history and social customs.  I have spent significant time here, starting as a young child.  I have family members that live in this country.  I speak the main language.  I share a common continent and cultural bond. So, why not?  

  This doesn't negate my own American identity, or the fact that I also identify with the nation of my father's origin.  When asked, I feel hard pressed to be able to list myself as belonging to any one country.  I have too many connections to too many places.  Is it a sign of modernity when people become multinational entities?


  In the understanding that this does not negate my 'American-ness' or 'European-ness' in any way, I would like to say a big thank you to the nation of Canada for hosting me for the past year.  You've been pretty friendly, and over all, a really positive experience.  I've met some truly kind people here, and learned a lot of important things.  My life has been richer since moving here. I've also learned that I can cope with really damn cold winters.  I think your weather kind of sucks, but then again, everything looks more beautiful in the snow.  So, yeah. Thank you. It's pretty good here.

  Thank you, Canada.

No comments: