Sunday, February 26, 2012

a little personal


I wish I could show you
When you are lonely or in darkness
The astonishing light of your own being.
-- Hafiz

   The past seven months have been a journey for me.  A long, winding road that has led down to the abyss and beyond.  I have suffered, I have been miserable, and I have doubted everything about myself. I have questioned reality, my position in life and the motives of friends and family.  I have wondered and worried about the past while anxiously tabulating every single mishap that has led up to this point. I have calculated my errors and accidents, and at times, it becomes an equation that seems like it will never balance itself. 

  And yet, here I am, nearly a year later and somehow more complete than I have ever been.  My spirit is bruised, my psyche is sore, and yet I am full of hope.  I can carry my head high, sure in the knowledge that I am trying to better myself, trying to become a more complete person, trying to evolve and grow towards something greater than I have ever yet been.

  Growing is a difficult process.  I never realized it until now.  I take two steps forward, and then fall backwards.  I begin to grow confident in myself, and suddenly crumble inwards.  I love my body, only to pick it apart.  I feel confident, which is then eroded by anxiety and self doubt.  It's not a straight forward process, this business of learning to love yourself.  It hurts.  It aches.  It itches.  It cramps. Sometimes, it fails miserably. 

  Yet, slowly, ever so slowly, I begin to doubt myself less.  I try a little harder.  I acknowledge the good moments in my day.  The sun is shining again, and I can see it, feel it, taste it.  I'm no longer hidden behind a dark and gloomy cloud.  Not always, anyway. And that's a start. A beautiful, joyous start.

  You yourself, as much as anybody in the universe, deserve your love and affection.
-- Buddha 

  There is so much love in your heart that you could heal the planet.
-- Louise Hay

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
 

    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely. Why I was born, struggled, lived -- to know this journey of yours is one that will bring good to others Remember: when I am old and no longer know who you are, hug me and I will remember you love me and I love you.
Your Mom