Wednesday, February 15, 2012

valentine's day northern lights






   Ah, Valentine's Day,  the most awkward of holidays.  For a girl who loathes public displays of affection, conversation heart candies and anything to do with cupids, Valentine's Day is not the best way to celebrate love.  And anyway, I find it rather offensive that the greeting card industry has made an official day for Love, Affection and Sex -- as if you can't have these things the rest of the year.  (I mean hell, if I had a boyfriend who only ever brought me chocolates on Valentine's Day, he'd be dumped pretty quickly.  Call me shallow, but what ever.)

  Naturally, I was absolutely dreading V.D. this year.  I've been single for almost 9 months now, and the prospect of some stupid holiday rubbing it in my face was not a pleasurable thought.  It was bad enough strolling around campus the week leading up to Valentine's, and watching all the couples cooing and kissing all over each other (in public, I might add -- ick.)  V. Day itself was pretty much unbearable around the university, with cute couples strolling around, hand in hand, and making romantic noises about dinner and 'plans' for later that evening.  Gag me with a spoon, people.

  In the end, however, I ended up having a pretty good (platonic)  Valentine's Day.  I went out for pizza with a friend, gorged on some killer chocolate cake, and watched an absolutely stunning display of the northern lights.  They were gorgeous last night, shimmering across the sky in vivid greens and reds.  I had a perfect view from my living room balcony.  It's impossible not to be awed and inspired by those beautiful lights, and it certainly was the most unique way to spend a Valentine's Day evening.

  Not romantic, but certainly awesome.  In a way, I'm really glad I got to enjoy the holiday as a single girl. 
If I had been hanging out with a boyfriend, I probably wouldn't have noticed the lights in the first place.  Perhaps it's a sign that all is well in my universe, and that I should just accept the fact that I'm single.  After all, there are worse things.  I got to see some beautiful lights across the night sky, cram my face with chocolate cake, and not have to worry about looking fat for some guy.  All in all, much better than spending V. Day out to dinner, awkwardly exchanging cards and trying to get in to the spirit of an otherwise lifeless and completely pointless holiday.

1 comment:

Huey said...

I sympathize.