Friday, March 24, 2006

cows: i keep forgetting they're sacred in india.

"If a driver hits a ... cow, the vehicle and its occupants are at risk of being attacked by passersby. Such attacks put the vehicle's occupants at significant risk of injury or death, or at least incineration of the vehicle."
-- Travex Report on India
In traffic and on roads, "the cow always has the right of way."
-- CultureShock!
and other funny things ...
1) Cows, camels, goats and elephants are all fairly typical sites on Indian roads.
2) Monkey bites are, apparently, a common malady among tourists.
3) I've read several times that sidewalks are not really there to be walked on, but are instead used by the homeless as places to sleep, by merchants as places to sell wares, and others use these 'walks as parking lots, taxi stands, lunching spots and more.
4) Asking for a hamburger is grounds for getting punched in the face.
(And oh man, I love beef!)
I am leaving in less than 2 months. Ahhhh. I just got back from my school's travel clinic, after being vaccinated for typhoid, hepatitis A and getting prescribed my malaria pills. I have to go back for further shots next week ... lucky me.
At least the doctor gave me cute bandaids and Gatorade. Oh -- and I'm the brand new owner to the World Health Organization's International Certificate of Vaccination. It's bright yellow and hurts the eyes -- but apparently you can't (literally) leave home without it.

1 comment:

D.Amouhd Tramell said...

Being in other countries can be scary as you know. When i was in Italy, there was a huge poster in the airport of hand gestures and what they meant in the USA,and in italy. I think i might have gotta maimed or shot for some things!!