Monday, November 20, 2006

a response to a comment posted ...


Someone made a comment about my last post, asking why I wasn't advocating helping people. (Well, in their words, 'peoples.') I understand the sentiment, but it's a little inaccurate. I am all for helping folks out, and I certainly do believe that there are many women, men and children out there who need our time, energy and love. By posting up a charity for chimps, I am in no way taking away from helping people out.

I strongly feel that the charity I posted is a beautiful cause, which is why I posted it. I was deeply moved by what I watched about it, and I could see in the faces of the rescued chimps the horrors and abuses that had been inflicted on them. They were treated worst than prisoners in solitary confinement. These creatures were, in essence, victims of torture. There is no excuse for a human being to treat another living creature this way, and that is my point in making the previous post. Some people make the argument that an animal is worth less than a human, which I don't buy. Because a creature is a chimp does not make him (or her) less valuable as a living, breathing, thinking being.

If you want to help out your peers, I suggest calling up homeless shelters, rape crisis centers, Boys & Girls clubs, and other such organizations. See what you can do to help out. These are well known parts of society, and I assume that if you are so intent on helping out people, you'd already know where and how to do so.

In all honesty, if you are the type of person who doesn't value animals and thinks that helping them out is a waste of time, please stop reading my blog. I don't want you reading my stuff.

Simple as that.

Peace.



No comments: