Sunday, February 12, 2006

snow sensationalism

Well, the weather forecasters are certainly a smug bunch today. The blizzard they've all been salivating over for a week has finally come to pass. The only thing on the local television stations here are creatively titled programs such as 'BLIZZARD WATCH '06' and 'WINTER FURY.' All I can say is that watching news anchors interview people shoveling their driveways isn't too entertaining.

I honestly wasn't expecting any snow. Actually, let me rephrase that. I was hoping there wouldn't be any snow. It would have been nice, -- so, so nice -- to have seen all those forecasts proven wrong. Then I wouldn't have had to sit through the blitz of winter coverage I've already sat through for the past several hours. It has been a day of the weathermen triumphant! It hath snowed! In Biblical proportions!

So, anyway. While there are bombs going off in Iraq and god knows what else going on in other parts of the globe, I'm stuck with coverage on pesky little snowflakes. That, and traffic reports every 7 minutes. (Thank you, ABC.) If there were a nuclear meltdown New Yorkers wouldn't even know. The news would be stuck on the traffic and weather. Seriously.

I do have to hand it to the elements, though. This is a pretty fierce storm. I went outside for about 2 minutes to throw out some trash and got blasted with arctic hell. The wind is gusting hard -- 50 mph in some places, at least according to the ever unreliable media. The worst is the fact that wind + snow = pain. (Anyone who has spent time upstate will know this very well ... and if you haven't, be grateful.)



No comments: