Thursday, May 03, 2007

sky writing part II

Hello, duckies!

I'm writing you on this beautiful spring day. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and the flowers are in full bloom. Even the trees are filling out with green leaves. This weather has brought out the best in everyone. Grouchy senior citizens are nicer than usual, Catholic school kids aren't as snotty as usual, and the fat hipped Latina mother next door has stopped arguing with her husband so much. Ah, peace and quiet!

Sitting on my roof this afternoon I noticed that three airplanes were working in tandem to spell out letters in the sky. It was my second dose of sky writing! I couldn't make out exactly what the words they spelled out said. However, I did manage to pick out 'London' 'Eos Airline' and something about New York. I took a photo with my cell phone, although it didn't turn out too well.

I'm in a good mood today, which should be evident from my brightly colored blog post. It isn't just the weather (which helps!) or the sky writing (which was neat). I think the biggest reason of all for my good mood is that FINALS ARE OVER. I've done enough final projects, exams and ethnographies to last a lifetime. I have one more class tonight and then I'm done for the semester. Even though I'll be taking summer courses, it's good to know I can put the past 15 weeks behind me and start something fresh and new.

Okay, moving on to a different topic: Sushi in New York City. I don't really eat the stuff as raw fish grosses me out, but I bravely went out for some this past Monday with a friend of mine. Actually, okay, I said I would order sushi, but I ended up sticking to something cooked and not half alive. At any rate, my friend ordered sushi ... and we both came to the same conclusion: DON'T order sushi on a Monday! The fish will have been sitting around all weekend unless the fish is bought fresh everyday. Icky icky.

Also ... why is grocery shopping so expensive in this city? It's absurd. I saw a box of cereal selling for over $5 the other day. Cat food is close to $6. The only things not outlandishly overpriced are foods in the international section of grocery stores! I can buy kimchi cheaper than I can a can of corn. That is sheer idiocy.

I recently got addicted to Freshdirect.com. Just browsing the website is one of the best ways to waste time online ever. They have a wide variety of brands and hard to get produce, plus a neat organic section. It is also, at times, cheaper than regular grocery stores. The prepared meals are expensive, but I never go those so it's not an issue. Anyway, I recommend checking out the website if you like food and shopping.

As an ending to this post, I'd like to say that this color scheme is in honor of my friend 'dissent.' He'll know what I'm talking about!

Photo of the sky writing to (maybe) be posted shortly, plus another entry about something very New Yorky.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those colors look good on you, too!
(>;->)!